109E, 1144 29 Ave N.E. Calgary

immigration law

…our goal is to take you through the whole process and address all your immigration concerns

There are many different categories for professionals and workers under which you may qualify for your Canada Immigration (Permanent Resident) Visa: Federal and Quebec Skilled Worker, Provincial Nominee, Federal Self-Employed, and Canadian and Quebec Experience Class. We can help you with the process of immigration to Canada.

Canada has long been hailed as a friend to immigrants and refugees from around the world, but the immigration system is often difficult to navigate on your own. At CKM, our goal is to take you through the whole process and address all your immigration concerns.

Our lawyers can help you with the following immigration matters:

  • Refugee/Asylum claims
  • Work and Student Permits
  • Immigration Hearings
  • Spousal/Family Class Sponsorships
  • Federal Court and Immigration Appeals
  • Express Entry
  • Citizenship

Let us help

As with all immigration laws, sponsorship is complex and involves a large responsibility, as well as some financial costs. At CKM, we will help you navigate the process and determine the best way to bring your loved ones to Canada with you.

Work and Student Permits

Every year, thousands of immigrants are authorized to study and work in Canada. Without the proper permit, you may not legally be allowed to study at many colleges and institutions, or work in certain jobs and fields.


Work permits are not required for every type of employment or work situation. Business visitors, for example, are often exempt, as are clergy and public speakers. Most immigrants, however, are required to obtain a work permit to legally obtain employment or operate a business within Canada’s borders.

Successfully obtaining a work permit requires approval from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). We will help determine if you meet the minimum qualifications, complete the application and navigate the complex process so you can move forward with your employment opportunity.


Canada offers top-quality educational opportunities and thousands of immigrants come through our borders each year to study and learn.

Some students require a permit to lawfully remain in Canada to pursue their studies, however, there are exemptions. If the program of study for which you wish to enroll is less than 6 months, then a study permit will not be required, unless you are from a country that requires a temporary resident visa.

To find out if you, or your minor child requires a student permit, call the offices of CKM, where you’ll receive practical, cost-effective legal advice from lawyers who truly care and understand the system.

Immigration Hearings

Immigration hearings are used to determine whether an individual should be removed or deported. It is a very serious matter and requires immediate attention.

If you are the Person Concerned and your immigration status or application has been referred for a hearing, allegations and evidence will be brought against you. Your hearing will take place before a Board Member of the Immigration Division of the Immigration and Refugee Board.

You are permitted to have legal representation at your hearing and we strongly encourage you to do so. Call CKM Law and we will immediately begin preparing a case on your behalf.


Canadian immigration laws allow citizens and permanent residents to sponsor family members, allowing them entry into the country and permanent residence.


The most important part of the process is proving that your marriage or partnership is genuine. Every case is different and the IRCC will review many factors before approving your application.

Several factors can bar you from acting as a spousal sponsor, including the conviction of certain crimes or the failure to pay child support, among others.


Another common family sponsorship is that of an adult sponsoring their parent or grandparent.

Sponsoring a parent is much different than sponsoring a spouse. As of 2017, the process is now based on a lottery system. You must submit an ‘Interest to Sponsor’ form, which can only be done in January. From the pool of Interest forms, IRCC will choose 10,000 potential sponsors who will then be invited to complete an application.


If Canada is your safe-haven from your home nation that you are fearful of, we understand how significant refugee status can be. We will take you through the initial application stage to the refugee hearing where we will represent you.

A claim for refugee status also allows you to apply for a open work permit and/or study permit for you and your family.

Because the initial stage is so important, we strongly encourage you to contact us at CKM Law. If you are denied refugee status at your hearing because you do not have legal representation to help make a convincing claim, it can be increasingly difficult to obtain permanent residence.


This is a process that allows your credentials, including your work experience, education, English language ability as well as your age to determine whether you have sufficient points for obtaining permanent residence.

You will often need around 450 points to quality. For more information, please contact CKM.


If your first immigration application was denied, or your hearing did not go as planned, you may be entitled to an appeal.

At CKM Law, we can help you with:

  • Temporary Resident Visa appeals
  • Appeals to the federal and supreme courts
  • Judicial reviews
  • Refugee appeals
  • And more

An appeal is generally your last opportunity to plead your case, so legal representation is imperative. We will help you present the facts of your case, find case law that applies to your situation, and make the most compelling argument on your behalf.


Permanent residence provides a tremendous amount of freedom and flexibility, including the right to live, work, and study in Canada. However, it also has its’ limitations. Permanent residence can be revoked under certain circumstances, to include an absence from Canada for three years during any five-year period or the conviction of a serious criminal offense.

Citizenship, on the other hand, is almost impossible to terminate. Once granted, citizenship can only be cancelled if you obtained your citizenship through false representation or fraud.


The decision to become a Canadian citizen is significant and life-changing. But with the recent, sweeping changes to Canada’s immigration laws, it is imperative that you seek the advice of an experienced immigration lawyer.


Citizenship is available to permanent residents once you:

  • Correctly complete the application
  • Meet all residency and language requirements
  • Pass the citizenship test

Recent changes to the law make the residency requirement more difficult to meet. Often, detailed evidence is required.

How we help

Our lawyers will guide you through the citizenship application process with professionalism and care. You’ll never be left with unanswered questions and we will carefully explain your options every step of the way.